A growing number of open source projects are using SPDX short-form identifiers in their code:
- The Linux kernel (LWN article)
- The Zephyr Project (example)
- Several Hyperledger projects, including Hyperledger Fabric and Hyperledger Iroha
- Arm Mbed
- The U-Boot Open Source Project (example)
- NPM packages: spdx-license-ids and spdx
- See more examples
Guidelines and Articles
The Free Software Foundation Europe's REUSE Software Initiative recommends adding SPDX short-form identifiers to each source code file.
Their guidelines also include additional suggestions about, e.g., how to use license identifiers for licenses that are not part of the SPDX License List.
Intel has published a blog post describing the benefits of using SPDX short-form identifiers.
Contact us if your project is using SPDX IDs and you'd like to see it listed here.